I made this for my boyfriend's family on Thanksgiving and I'm pretty sure no one even thought about it being vegan :-)
Serves 6-8
Ingredients
Beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon table salt (Alanna says it’s essential)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
Sauce
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- generous pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Fresh pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3/4 cup soy creamer (I used coconut creamer, bought at Whole Foods)
Topping
- 1 1/2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/16 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 3-ounce can of French fried onions
Instructions
- Beans: Bring the water to boil in a large pot.
- While it’s heating, cut up the beans. Add the salt and beans to the boiling water. Cover and cook for 6 minutes.
- Drain beans in a colander, and then spray for a minute with cold water to stop the cooking. Let them drain in the colander, shaking every now and then to get off all the water.
- Sauce: Trim and discard the mushroom stems and chop the mushrooms into pieces.
- Spray a non-stick pan with oil and heat it. Add the mushrooms, garlic, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are very soft and exude their juices.
- Whisk the flour into the vegetable broth and add to the mushrooms along with the sherry.
- Simmer, stirring, until mixture thickens. Add the creamer and simmer until thick, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Adjust the seasonings and stir in the beans.
- Topping: Put the bread, margarine, salt, and pepper into a food processor and pulse until crumbly. Pour into a bowl and add the onions. Stir to combine.
- To assemble: Put the green beans into an oiled casserole dish and top with the onion mixture. Bake at 425 F for about 15 minutes.
- If you are not serving this right away, refrigerate the topping separately; bring to room temperature before sprinkling the topping on the casserole and baking for about 20 minutes or until hot throughout.

Thanks for posting these recipes Sara! I haven't actually made any of them...YET, but I hope to. I've shared your site with my Mom, who is Vegan and gluten free. I'm hoping this will help us a bit as we pull together tasty holiday meals for everyone in the family to enjoy :-)
ReplyDeleteI didn't know your Mom was vegan - very cool! Also, we will have to do some dinner parties and I will cook for you guys :) Or we could cook together!
Delete