Baking desserts is something I have always enjoyed! When I started cleaning up my diet, I thought I had to give this up. However, I've noticed that with the "clean eating" comes more intense cravings for sweets... particularly chocolate. So instead of breaking down and eating a bar of chocolate, why not have fun baking and enjoy the yummy healthy version of desserts too?! It's the best of both worlds for me and makes me kinda giddy :)
I have been trying out quite a few Happy Herbivore recipes and finally decided to get one of her cookbooks. The best part about her recipes is not only are they vegan, they are also oil-free! This is especially great for baking because I don't always know how a recipe will turn out when I substitute other things for the oil. With Happy Herbivore recipes, I can make it pretty much by the book and not have that unknown variable. The only change I made to this recipe was using Stevia instead of raw sugar (I had to increase the applesauce just a tad to account for the difference in volume between Stevia and sugar...I reflected that below).
Wow, they turned out soooooo delicious! I can pretty much guarantee you will be seeing more recipes from my new Happy Herbivore book on here :)
P.S. I also got a food processor which has opened up a whole new world of possibilities for my cooking and baking. I thought it would be more "complicated" but it's actually a very simple appliance to use.
Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp cinnamon
a dash of ground cardamon
½ cup canned white beans*, drained but keep the liquid
½ tsp Stevia in the Raw
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup vegan chocolate chips
a dash of salt
Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease 2 cookie sheets or line with wax paper and set aside.
- Transfer 3/4 cup of the oats to a food processor and pulse, about 15x, until crumbly but not powder.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cardamon. Whisk to incorporate and set aside.
- Transfer beans to processor then add applesauce, Stevia, vanilla extract and 1 tbsp of the bean liquid. Whiz until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir about 10 times.
- Add chips, remaining 1/4 cup oats and the rest of the bean liquid, stirring until combined. If the mixture is too wet, add more oats. If it's too dry, add a little water.
- Drop tablespoons of batter onto the cookie sheets, leaving an inch of room between each.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until edges are just turning light brown and middles are firm. They will firm a bit more as they cool. Check the bottoms to make sure they are golden brown.


No comments:
Post a Comment