Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Eggless Salad


I have to admit I was a little nervous to try this recipe but I was shocked at how good this salad was and tastes like the original version!  Black salt is the secret ingredient here and really does make tofu taste like eggs!  I had trouble finding it locally so just ended up ordering online.  It was well worth it!!  It's fun to try new things :)
 
You can find the recipe on page 74 of Everyday Happy Herbivore or online here.

Serves 6


Eggless Salad Ingredients


 
  • 12 ounces extra-firm tofu
  • 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 whole celery stalks, minced
  • 1¼ tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp relish (dill pickle)
  • ½ tsp turmeric
  • ¼ tsp mild curry powder
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp onion powder
  • ½ tsp black salt
  • 2 tbsp vegan mayo (fat-free)

 

Eggless Salad Instructions 

 
  1. If using firm tofu, press for at least 20 minutes.  I do this by taking the tofu block out of the package, wrapping the block in a kitchen towel, placing between 2 cutting boards, and then placing heavy books on top.
  2. Give extra-firm tofu a good squeeze before starting. Crumble tofu into a large mixing bowl.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined. Let set for a few minutes (this allows the flavor to merge but also enhances the yellow coloring).
  4. Stir again. Taste, adjusting spices as necessary. Add black pepper to taste and serve.
  5. I used the fat-free vegan mayo from Everyday Happy Herbivore Cookbook (page 272). However, Nasoya makes a commercial fat-free vegan mayo and there are several low fat varieties by other brands.  I'm including the recipe below:

 

Vegan Mayo Ingredients


  • 1 12.3 oz pkg Mori-Nu tofu
  • 2-3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp distilled white vinegar
  • lemon juice, to taste
  • agave nectar, to taste

Vegan Mayo Instructions


  1. In a blender or small food processor, blend tofu with Dijon and vinegar until smooth and creamy.
  2. Add a few drops of lemon juice and a few drops of agave nectar and blend again.
  3. Taste and add more lemon juice, agave nectar, or Dijon as needed or desired.
  4. Chill until you're ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment