Monday, July 23, 2012

Mediterranean Roasted Broccoli & Tomatoes



I pulled this recipe from EatingWell.com but stripped out the excess olive oil and salt... which is a very common modification that I find myself making to almost every recipe I find!  The roasted vegetables with garlic and lemon are so fresh tasting... oil and salt would only bury the delicious natural flavors and add unneeded fat, calories and sodium.  This one was a crowd pleaser last Friday night when Ed and I made it for our friends!


Ingredients
  • 12 ounces broccoli crowns, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets (about 4 cups)
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 10 pitted black olives, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
  2. Spray broccoli & tomatoes lightly with olive oil cooking spray, then toss with garlic in a large bowl until evenly coated. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake until the broccoli begins to brown, 10 to 13 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine lemon zest and juice, olives, oregano and capers (if using) in a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables; stir to combine. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment