I have made this meal a few times now and it has turned out just as delicious! The vegan Gumbo recipe is on page 108 of Everyday Happy Herbivore. I also added vegan ground sausage (Lightlife brand) and seasoned it in a skillet with Cajun seasoning and other spices, before adding to the Gumbo. I didn't break the sausage completely apart, instead leaving some larger chunks. Then serve over brown rice. This Gumbo is not the true authentic Louisiana version (my brother-in-law makes a killer version of that!) but this version is very healthy and such a treat!
The Jalapeno Cornbread recipe is on page 68 of Everyday Happy Herbivore. I like to add more jalapeno than the recipe calls for but I have to remember my guests if I'm cooking for others because I like things WAY spicier than the average American :)
Enjoy!
Serves 4
NOLA Gumbo Ingredients
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 4 garlic gloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
- 1 to 2 tbsp Tabasco (or other hot sauce)
- 1 14-oz can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- pinch of dried oregano
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of dried basil
- package of vegan sausage (I used Lightlife ground sausage)- optional
NOLA Gumbo Instructions
- Make sure the inside of a large pot is completely dry.
- Toast flour over high heat, stirring frequently, until it darkens and smells toasty, taking care not to burn it.
- Remove flour and set aside.
- Line the pot with a thin layer of water and sautee garlic on high heat for a minute.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper, and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until onion is translucent, the peppers are bright green, and most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Turn off the heat and stir in flour to coat everything well.
- Add Cajun Seasoning and hot sauce, stirring to coat; then add tomatoes with their juices, beans, and vegetable broth.
- Add a pinch of oregano, thyme, and basil and stir to combine.
- If adding vegan sausage, break in to smaller chunks, and sautee with spices as desired. Add to gumbo.
- Bring to a near-boil, cover, and reduce heat to low, simmering for a few minutes until everything is warm.
- Taste, adding more Cajun Seasoning, hot sauce (or cayenne powder) to taste, plus salt if desired.
Jalapeno Cornbread Ingredients
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
- 1 cup yellow corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 tbsp minced jalapeno (I used at least 2x this)
Jalapeno Cornbread Instructions
- Preheat over to 400F.
- Whish cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add nondairy milk, applesauce, agave nectar, and sugar on top.
- With a spatula, stir a few times, then add corn and jalapeno.
- Stir until just combined, then pour batter into a greased or nonstick 8 or 9-inch shallow pie dish, cast iron skillet or square casserole dish.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
No comments:
Post a Comment