Sunday, September 16, 2012

Masala Kidney Bean Burgers


Ed and I have both been sick for the past week and so trips to the grocery store have been limited to cold medicine and RedBox movies.  I'm finally feeling a little better today though and wanted to make a good healthy lunch.  I found a can of kidney beans in my pantry and looked through my Happy Herbivore Cookbook to see what I could possibly make with them.  I had all the ingredients for these quick and easy bean burgers and decided to whip them up.  I love cooking with Indian spices so that was a big bonus for me too.  They were great!

Ingredients

  • 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 3 tbsp low-sugar ketchup
  • 1/3 cup instant oats

Instructions

  1. Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
  2. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
  3. In a mixing bowl, mash beans with a fork until no whole beans are left but not so mashed that they are pureed like refried beans.
  4. Add spices, ketchup and oats. Stir to combine.
  5. Taste.  If you want a more pronounced Indian flavoring, add another 1/4 tsp each of chili powder, garam masala, and cumin (of course I did!)
  6. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions. Roll into balls, then flatten with your palms. Place on prepared baking sheet and spray the patties lightly with olive oil cooking spray.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes, flip over, and bake for 8 more minutes. If necessary, flip again and bake for 5 additional minutes, or until the burgers are firm.
  8. Eat with your favorite condiments.  Makes 4 burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment