Sunday, September 23, 2012

Spiced Sweet Potato & Kale Soup


Fall is here!  There is a slight chill in the air that makes me want to eat hearty soup and cuddle up to keep warm.  I was really excited to try making soup for the first time and it turned out AMAZING.  Of course I consulted Happy Herbivore for ideas and found this one that looked delicious.  The only change I made was using sweet potatoes instead of yams because I did not find fresh yams at the store.   When researching soup recipes I noticed how involved some of them looked and the thing I love about this recipe is how easy and fast it was!  I made Green Goblin Muffins to complete the meal and we just had the best Friday night in :-)

Ingredients

  • 1 whole red onion, medium
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
  • 2 whole sweet potatoes, peeled & diced
  • 10 cups kale, chopped
  • 4 tsp chili powder (adjust down if you don't want too spicy)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 2 tsp mild curry powder
  • 2 tbsp yellow miso paste (I found this at local Asian grocery store but I think Whole Foods also has it)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Instructions

  1. Slice red onion into thin slices.
  2. Line a medium pot with 1/2 cup of water and cook onions over high heat until translucent, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add broth, sweet potatoes, 1-1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to medium and cook until potatoes are almost fork tender, about 3 minutes.
  4. Immediately add kale and remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, until kale is dark green and soft, about 3 more minutes.
  5. Set aside for 5-10 minutes, allowing flavors to merge.
  6. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment