I spent Labor Day weekend with friends at their lake house in Indiana. I'm pretty sure they were shocked when I showed up with baked goods and food that looked edible. My former self would only show up with a case of beer ;) But I'm sure when they heard that all of my goods were vegan, oil-free and sugar-free, they were frightened! Luckily they were all pleasantly surprised when the food turned out to be delicious! I had soooo much fun cooking and baking for my friends and am excited to have discovered this new great thing in my life that I can share with other people.
I tried the Spinach & Artichoke Frittata from my beloved Happy Herbivore Cookbook and only made some small adjustments. This was my first experience cooking with tofu and I found that the extra-firm version of the Mori-Nu brand worked best in this recipe. It did not taste like tofu to me at all and I could not believe I wasn't eating an egg and cheese frittata. I made it the day before and served warm (not hot) for the next two mornings. Delicious :)
And the most amazing part is the nutritional information for this! If you cut the whole frittata into 4 pieces, each piece is only 148 calories, 1.9g fat, 20.5g carbs, 2g sugar. It also is high in fiber and protein at 6.7g fiber and 13.6 protein! Wow :)
Ingredients
- 2- 12.3oz packages of extra-firm Mori-Nu tofu (found in the Asian aisle at Whole Foods... it's not refrigerated)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (found in supplements aisle at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1- 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered (look for can with lowest sodium)
- 5 to 6 cups coarsely chopped spinach
Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8-inch square or round pan (olive-oil spray) and set aside.
- Put tofu, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and mustard in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape sides as necessary.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and mix in Italian seasoning and turmeric.
- Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach; mix until will combined.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until thoroughly cooked through to the middle and the top is firm and golden. Serves 4-6.
No comments:
Post a Comment