Friday, October 19, 2012

Maple Roasted Root Vegetables with Apple



This may be my favorite fall recipe so far.  I had some friends over for dinner last Friday, got worried that I didn't have enough food and ended up making this last minute!  Even though I had plenty of food to begin with, I'm so glad I decided to make these veggies because they were sooooooo good :-)  I found the original recipe online and then changed it considerably.  It is good to get some instructions on how to roast vegetables and the spices that go well together but I cut out the butter, oil and nuts and used what vegetables I could easily pick up at the store last minute!

Ingredients


  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
  • 3 tbsp pure maple syrup, divided
  • 1 tbsp dried thyme
  • freshly ground salt & pepper to taste
  • olive oil cooking spray
  • 1 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick
  • 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and sliced 1/4 in. thick
  • 1 lb. brussel sprouts, halved
  • 1.5 lb. mini red potatoes, quartered
  • 2 large tart apples, cored and cut into bite size pieces

 

Instructions


Serves 6

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (use "Roast" setting if you have it).
  2. Prepare all the vegetables and apples.
  3. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, vegetable broth and 2 tbsp maple syrup and bring to a boil.
  4. Cook over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
  5. Meanwhile, in a large shallow roasting pan, mix all the vegetables together (minus the apples).  Spray with olive oil, season with thyme, salt and pepper and toss gently.
  6. Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes.
  7. Gently turn the vegetables, add the apples and roast 15-20 minutes longer, or until all of the vegetables and the apples are tender and lightly browned.
  8. Add the sauce and toss gently.
  9. Drizzle remaining 1 tbsp (or less) of maple syrup on the mix and toss gently.
  10. Transfer to a platter and serve (you can also make ahead and store at room temperature for up to two hours before serving).

No comments:

Post a Comment