Healthy vegan baking has been more challenging for me than vegan cooking. If I make things super healthy, I'm the only one that wants to eat it, and I end up eating the whole batch! This defeats the purpose of trying to make healthy baked goods :) So I'm finding that I can still make baked goods pretty healthy, but maybe not quite as strict as I normally would be. I am loving this blog I found called Oh She Glows, and I found this recipe there. Mission accomplished on this one! My boyfriend ate quite a few :)
Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 & 1/4 cup lightly packed shredded zucchini, skin left on
- 1 & 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional, I didn't add these)
Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray muffin pan with oil or grease with Earth Balance.
- Mix flax egg in a small bowl and set aside.
- Grate zucchini using a grater box (regular grate size). Set aside.
- Mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar (or sub fresh lemon juice) in a small bowl and set aside. It will curdle, but this is the point as we’re making vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar).
- Mix together the wet ingredients (flax egg, almond milk mixture, maple syrup, and vanilla) and then pour over dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts, and shredded zucchini.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan filling each tin 3/4 of the way full. Bake for about 15-17 minutes at 350F, or until muffins slowly spring back when touched. A toothpick should come out mostly clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes. With a knife, loosen around the muffin edge and transfer to a cooling rack until completely cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment